O Crux Ave Spes Unica - O Cross, Hail, Our Only Hope. This is the motto on the Great Seal of the Diocese of Lismore which was introduced by Bishop Carroll who was bishop from 1910-1949.
A Red Rose - Roses are found on the Lismore NSW City Crest.
Centre Cross - A square and bevelled terracotta cross in the patonce style. It is the characteristic cross of the Cathedral and is on all the Cathedral's prominent exterior points.
Stag Head - The Stag's Head is from the Doyle Family Crest. Jeremiah Doyle [1849 - 1909] built St Carthage's Cathedral. He was the first Parish Priest in Lismore from 1878, and the first Bishop of Lismore from 1887 until his death in 1909.
Celtic C - The Celtic style "C" is inspired by the eighth century Book of Kells. It is representative of St Carthage, also called Carthach or Mochuda. St Carthage was a seventh century monk, scholar and bishop who died in 637AD. He founded the great monastery and school of Lismore in County Waterford in the south of Ireland. We can still read his Rule. Alfred the Great studied at Lismore.
Arum Lily - The lily is the symbol of religious faithfulness and purity for which St Carthage was famous.
Crozier - Lismore is an episcopal city. This crozier belonged to Bishop Patrick Farrelly who was the bishop from 1949 - 1979. It indicates that Lismore is the seat of the bishop whose diocese covers the north and mid-north coast of NSW.
Celtic knot - The Celtic three-fold knot represents the Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. On the rock of this faith St Carthage founded his life.